Top 10 NFL Draft Questions
April 20, 2010 by Papa Weimer
The NFL Draft is only a couple days away, and I can’t be more excited. The trades are always exciting, and the fantasy ramifications are nice too, but nothing is better than seeing a bunch of kids get rich because they worked their A’s off and have a bunch of talent. A bunch of kids that have been living off dormitory food and philosophy classes become millionaires, and all the rest become six-figure kids that play a game for their day job. An intense game? Yes, like camping. Here are the top questions heading into the draft.
1. What the hell does the application for the Lions’ “Draft Decision Maker” job look like? Please, somebody try to prove to me that the first questions isn’t, “Do your first and last names start with the letter M?” – Because I’m thinking if you answer “No” to that question, there’s no chance you get it. First you had Matt Millen, then Marty Mornhinweg came in as the head coach to give draft input, and now Martin Mayhew has the GM job and is looking to shed the stigma of M&Ms and their inability to build a respectable team. Can he do it? At least Mitch Mustang knows that if he never becomes a good college quarterback he can run a professional football team in a few years…
2. It’s not always the case that the top quarterback picked becomes the best pro quarterback of the bunch, but I don’t care about that – we here at LuckyLester.com think Bradford is the guy – but who is next? Some have said that this quarterback class is weak, and I think that’s stupid. My question is who will be the next quarterback taken, and who will be the best after Bradford? Claussen? McCoy? Tebow? Pike? Snead? LeFevour? It will be interesting to see.
3. Which team will pull a Jacksonville and trade way up in the draft to reach for a player they probably should have passed on had they stayed put? It happens every year, and with Jack Del Rio helping with draft day decisions for the Jaguars, the answer to this very question could part of the question – if you dig?
4. Which team will pull and “Oakland Raider” and overdraft a 1st rounder by 15 picks? There are some prime candidates this year – Jimmy Claussen, Tim Tebow, Terrence Cody, Dan LeFevour, Bruce Campbell? It’s unfortunate, because it puts a lot of pressure on a kid right out of the gates, everyone laughing at his selection, like he’s some sort of crap burger. But it happens, and we mainly have the Raiders and Jaguars to thank for it.
5. Who will be the first rounder most feverishly booed? There’s lots of hate for quarterbacks, and that’s always a possibility – and you’d have to think the Jets fans will stop booing their defensive picks now that they’ve turned it around – oh I can’t wait to see. My guess, the Raiders trade up and take Jimmy Claussen and suddenly three of my questions are answered immediately.
6. Which of the draft day invites will be left whacking it in the green room all by himself? This is a tough call as only 16 guys have accepted invites. My quick guess would be one of the running backs after C.J. Spiller (like if Jahvid Best or Ryan Matthews) or possibly a defensive lineman like Jared Odrick or Lamarr Houston if they make the trip. Then again, if Tebow or McCoy accept invites, it could be an all-Heisman showdown!
7. Which big name player and/or former pro-bowler will get traded in the next few days for a draft pick everyone scoffs at? This happens all the time, and already has happened a few times over the last couple weeks. Ernie Simms and Tony Scheffler got traded for 5th and 7th round picks while Donovan McNabb was traded for a 2ne. Santonio Holmes, in all his Super Bowl MVP glory and coming off the best statistical season of his career, was gifted away for a 5th rounder. Ah yes, the trades are glorious. But who’s next? Marshawn Lynch? Ronnie Brown? Darren Sproles? Shawn Merriman? Oh I’m so excited!
8. Which NFL talking head will be right about Jimmy Claussen? Kiper loves the kid, even going so far as to rank him at the top of his class for much of the early pre-draft stuff. McShay seemingly loathes him. Which guy will get foot and mouth disease?
9. Sure, the Draft starts Thursday and is in “PRIME TIME” but how long will that last? I mean, prime time is only so short, and at fifteen minutes per pick, and a start over time on draft pick trades, 32 different picks means this thing will finish well out of any time close to prime. It starts at 7:30: four picks an hour, 32 picks – if you guessed 8 hours, you’re on to something. The question is, how long will this thing go? Al Davis will surely have to recharge the battery that runs his heart, that’s all I know.
10. And last, and least, which guy holds out the longest? In one of the stupidest examples of pro sports and bad ideas, the NFL seems to have half their top draft picks sign after training camp starts. It’s some sort of evil domino effect stuck in slow motion and it grosses me out. Which guy thinks he’s worth more than where he got drafted? Which guy doesn’t care where he was drafted, but expects to get paid like a Top pick? Ah, it’s the worst thing about the draft, but it happens every year. Your guess is as good as mine.